CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe


Hey,
My family and I went to this church today, the Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Since it is the holidays and I don't have sunday school so we decided to visit some other churches in the diocese like this one.
We went for the evening Mass.

It's quite a new church, just recently completed a few years ago. Its interior was quite nice, and from the outside it looked kind of modern...it doesn't have the traditional kind of church architecture. Hope the new St. Thomas More Church will be as beautiful as this one!


The altar

The crucifix above the altar

The statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe

Another statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe in the church's compound

A mosaic of Our lady of Guadalupe. Yeah, there are many statue and artworks depicting her, the church was built in her honour.

A statue of St. Michael on the upper floor

The church from the outside at night

The cross in front of the church. Sorry, last few pics not that clear.



Actually Our Lady of Guadalupe is just another title for Mother Mary. The title came about after the apparation of Mother Mary to St. Juan Diego in Mexico in the 16th century. The name Guadalupe comes from a native American word meaning 'the crusher of the serpent'. In one of the apparations the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe like those depicted in the pictures above was myteriously painted on his tilma (see below). Until today nobody can tell how it was painted. And the image is also a very close description of the women in Revelation 12:1-2 (http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__P12V.HTM). The apparations led to a chapel being built nearby the place where the apparations took place and the conversion of millions of native Americans.

Read more about it at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Guadalupe

The original image of Our Lady of Guadalupe in the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City


Next week, hopefully, I'll be going to St. John's Cathedral, the archbishop's church. Another church that I haven't been before.





~I will demonstrate, I will exhibit, I will give all my love, my compassion, my help and my protection to the people. I am your merciful mother, the merciful mother of all of you who live united in this land, and of all mankind, of all those who love me , of those who cry to me, of those who seek me, of those who have confidence in me. Here I will hear their weeping, their sorrow and will remedy and alleviate all their multiple sufferings, necessities and misfortunes. ---Our Lady of Guadalupe to St. Juan Diego in one of her apparations~


0 comments: