CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Motherchurch

Since it was the holidays and we had a less tight schedule my family and I went to St. John's Cathedral in KL last week for evening Mass on Saturday. We were just going to other Catholic churches around the area to take the opportunity of the hols. Seems like a church tour, last two weeks the Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe and last week St. John's Cathedral.

This church really has the traditional church's architecture. It was built more than a hundred years ago. Once I went in the size of the church just simply depicted its grandeur. And its design also actually has good effects on the choir's singing. The music echoed throughout the church harmoniously because of its size. Lovely.






The front


Twin spires at the front

Maybe the church's bells are up there. I'm just guessing.



Side view




While going around the church I found this statue of Mother Mary somewhere near the altar



Picture of the Divine Mercy



The altar. Notice that its design with many steps is pre-Vatican II style. Rarely find this kind of altars nowadays.


The crucifix




Side view




The Mass in process with a few altar boys in front of the altar.



After Mass all of us also had a procession around the church carrying candles because it was the Corpus Christi(Body of Christ) Feast Day.

The candles were quite small and melt quickly. The wax burned my hand a little and stained my pants when it fell. Oh well, nothing much anyway.







And I also found this (see below, click to enlarge) a few metres in front of the foot of the altar. At first I thought that this is just to commemorate the first Archbishop of Kuala Lumpur, consecrated in around 1955 I think. He died just a few years ago. But then I found out that his body is actually underneath that slab. He's buried there. It's his tomb. Wow. Didn't know that before.


R.I.P His Grace Dominic Aloysius Vendragon





~But the wise shall shine brightly like the splendor of the firmament, And those who lead the many to justice shall be like the stars forever.--- Daniel 12:3~

0 comments: